Thursday, January 10, 2008

Hello Everyone,

I apologize for the lack of a blog for the past couple of days, things have been a bit hectic as we finished up climbing and traveled back to Quito.
As Trav mentioned in his short blog, For the past week the three of us have been working as mountain guides for Gulliver’s Travels, a tour company out of Quito that owns PapaGayo. After our climb on Antisana with Eran, the owner, he offered us work for a few days guiding. Yesterday Jer and I guided on Cotopaxi, Jers client was Yoav, the manager of PapaGayo, who had no climbing experience and had yet to climb Cotopaxi. I had a 20 year old Colombian girl, and a Brazilian man on my rope team. We were part of a larger group of 12, but about an hour into the climb, we were on our own and I found myself guiding a rope team of three at 18,000ft. It was sweet! We did not reach the summit because both of my clients were having trouble with the altitude, but we still had a wonderful morning with an amazing sunrise. Jer, however, did an AMAZING job. He guided Yoav to the summit, and passed over 5 other climbing parties on the way there, getting to the top as the second summit team. I am very very proud of him.
After guiding on Iliniza Norte last a few days ago I got offered a job to stay here, live at PapaGayo, and continue guiding for the next three months……… mom ah, can you call MSU and see if they can refund my tuition payment for this semester?
We are now all back in Quito getting ready for our departure home on Saturday, (Yes I am coming home, guiding will have to wait for a while). The next two days will be spent packing, exploring some of Quito we have yet to see and making sure everything is ready for our trip home.
Below are a few photos from the past couple of days. I will try to post more when I have time.

God Bless and Love Always,
Michael



The Guides for Iliniza Norte, Trav and I served as lead guides and Yoav an Marco as assistants.

Trav, on Norte, in the snow and rain, getting 10 clients off the mountain asap.

One of our clients, on a dangerous section of the route.

The climbing party on the way into Cotopaxi.

Enjoying one of my very few beatiful mornings on a mountain, above the clouds.

Myself and my two clients, Alei and Antonio.

Jer and Yoav on the descent from the Summit!

1 comment:

Tami said...

Sweet pictures! Love to hear the stories, and can't wait to see you all in person! Thanks to all of you for your great blogs.